[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk Ffork - OpenPBX.org

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Oct 11 22:20:47 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 01:13 -0400, Paul wrote:
> Suppose I discover a much better method of balancing the checkbook. It
> is such a great improvement over well-known methods that I truly deserve
> the patent I get for it.
>
> That means I can prevent you from using the method with pencil and
> paper, with mechanical calculators and also with computer software. So I
> don't need to patent any software, do I?

That depends on where I am located as to whether you can or cant.  And
that was my point, the laws dont apply uniformly across the globe, a
patent doesnt mean as much in some places and in others its totally
unenforcable.

> I really don't see how any government can afford to properly evaluate
> patent applications with the fees they collect. They charge the same fee
> for salad spinners and codecs.

And you get about the same results, there are some really silly patents
out there.  Some as simple as 2 C instructions.

> I haven't seen any strong arguments here that the g.729 algorithm itself
> is not deserving of a patent.

I didnt know anyone was trying to make that argument only comments on
whether its enforcable or not in certain jurisdictions.  Two totally
different things.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378