[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk Ffork - OpenPBX.org

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Oct 11 02:01:24 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 14:32 +0800, Dinesh Nair wrote:
> On 10/11/05 14:15 trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com said the following:
> > On a side note but vaguely related to this (licensing in general) does
> > digium charge EU patrons for the g.729 codec?  I understand that digium
> > is in the US and that it can cause them problems if they dont charge,
>
> there may be a technical issue with that given that the codecs downloaded
> from digium's site would need to check for the licensing information for
> the codec. doing what you require would need two versions of the codec, and
> digium may have a problem in ensuring that folk from the US do not download
> the version without the check.

Yes I understand that there would need to be two versions *or* digium
gives free licenses to people who can be verified in places where
software patents dont exist.  However becuase digium is in a place where
they do I bet that it would be legally impossible for them to provide
free licenses to those in say the EU (and aparently AU).

> however, i believe that folk here have made the intel implementation of
> g.729a to work with asterisk, and you could use that where software patents
> or the g.729 license is not required.[1]
>
> [1] i wouldnt think it would stay this way for long, the way software
> patent recognition is being grandfathered in by way of free trade agreements.

Yeah, I am suprised that someone hasnt already published the intel code
with diff applied somewhere, but if they did google didnt find it.  I
would have thought that sometime ago (before the EU patent decision)
someone would have on a russian server.  But alas that was aparently not
the case.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378