[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk Ffork - OpenPBX.org

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Mon Oct 10 23:30:40 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 16:23 +1000, Mark Armstrong wrote:
> Same question for Australia?

if softwre patents dont exist there, I would imagine that someone could
write a codec and release that from within those countries legally.  It
should be on the person who downloads it to pay if required to do so,
but sometimes courts are strange beasts ...

Certainly the gpl'ed patch file (which isnt a valid gpl since you cant
have the dependancies they do) that uses the intel code (which requires
a license to get access to) shouldnt be much of a problem for people to
get and use (other than the crap you have to deal with from intel to get
the code and all the stuff that way ...)

But if someone were to write something on their own they should be able
to release it without a problem.  But I know very little about legal
systems outside the US so I really cant say.

I would be interested however to hear digiums position on this, although
I think I already know what they are going to say since they are US
based.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378