[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk Ffork - OpenPBX.org

Mark Armstrong marmstrong at accaustralia.com.au
Mon Oct 10 23:23:05 MST 2005

Same question for Australia?

Regards

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-biz-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-biz-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of trixter
http://www.0xdecafbad.com
Sent: Tuesday, 11 October 2005 4:16 PM
To: Commercial and Business-Oriented Asterisk Discussion
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-biz] Asterisk Ffork - OpenPBX.org

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 01:08 -0500, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> I am offering, in my official capacity, a possible extension to the
> LICENSE file that would more clearly indicate the circumstances under
> which the Asterisk trademark could be used or not used. Since I posted
> that message, I have realized that any changes in that direction would
> have to be even more 'complete' than what I proposed, so I will work
> with our licensing manager and others to come up with something that
> is in everyone's best interests.

God bless estoppel :)

> We certainly do not want to place restrictions on 'bundling' of
> Asterisk into distributions or in other forms where the intent is that
> the end product will still be 'Asterisk', but at the same time we need
> to protect (as you already pointed out in another response) our
> trademark and the license exceptions associated with it.

I wouldnt imagine that you would, that kinda goes against making it open
source in the first place.  This is one of the problems with making
restrictions in a license, it becomes very murky very quickly.
Especially when dealing with a global marketplace.

On a side note but vaguely related to this (licensing in general) does
digium charge EU patrons for the g.729 codec?  I understand that digium is
in the US and that it can cause them problems if they dont charge, however
there is no legal requirement for anyone in the EU currently to pay to use
the codec, providing they can get it in the first place.
Just a side thing that popped in my head as I was writing the earlier parts
of this email.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378