[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk Ffork - OpenPBX.org

Dinesh Nair dinesh at alphaque.com
Sat Oct 8 15:34:12 MST 2005

On 10/09/05 05:56 Kevin P. Fleming said the following:
> the trademark. This would not allow (for example) bundling in major
> changes such as 'bristuff', but would allow for file locations to be
> changed, permissions modification, that sort of thing, designed for
> compatibility with the platform it's being built for.

this is beginning to sound fairly restrictive.

i understand digium's need to revenue protect ABE, but if it's coming to a
point where a distribution of asterisk+bristuff(or anything else deemed
significant)+openh323 is barred, then it would impact independent
consultants who preinstall/preconfigure asterisk (with full source
provided) for their customers while still purchasing FXO/FXS/E1/T1 cards
from digium.

i think this move will hurt digium in the long run. one good thing about an
open source project is that with the many independent software developers
around the world, we can make modifications and improvements to the
software for our customers and at the same time contributing the code back
to make sure that others get the same improvements.

while the disclaimer and patch mechanism of Mantis allows this, what would
happen if one of the patches/modifications are not committed into CVS and
thus not part of Asterisk(tm) ? this would prevent even the independent
developer who wrote the patch from distributing a patched version of
asterisk together with openh323 to a customer with TE4XXP cards. this would
severly impact customer service, especially if the patch was a bug fix.
being honest, it would be hard to recommend asterisk or digium cards to a
customer if it is going to hamper someone's ability to properly support
that customer.

i think what we all need to do is to put this openpbx thing behind us and

dinesh at alphaque.com                (0 0)    http://www.alphaque.com/