[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk Ffork - OpenPBX.org

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 14:23:24 MST 2005

On 10/8/05, Paul <digium-list at 9ux.com> wrote:

> Dinesh Nair wrote:
>

> > On 10/09/05 04:07 Jeremy McNamara said the following:
> >
> >> It very clearly states in the README in the Asterisk source TLD:
> >>
> >> Specific permission is also granted to OpenSSL and OpenH323 to link
> >> with Asterisk.
> >>

> >> LINK WITH ASTERISK - A fork is not asterisk.
> >

> > i'm failing to understand this. person A downloads asterisk from
> > www.asterisk.org <http://www.asterisk.org>, links in open{ssl,h323} and
> this is ok.
> >
> > person B downloads asterisk from www.asterisk.org<http://www.asterisk.org>,
> modifies some GPLed
> > asterisk code, links in open{ssl,h323} and distributes sources to the
> > whole shebang (including the modifications) , and this is not ok ?
> >
> > i dont think this is the way the GPL and the linking waiver works, but
> > then IANAL either.
> >
> You raised the same question I did in another post.
>
> The fallacy being promoted here is that "A fork is not asterisk"
>
> A fork is asterisk with modifications. If I change one character of the
> source I have the equivalent of a fork as far as licensing and legal
> issues are concerned. If I start a community project based on my
> one-character change it is called a fork.

Once you redistribute your fork it's no longer asterisk, and therefore the
GPL exceptions that Digium granted to asterisk do not apply to your fork
anymore. And since only the copyright holder has the right to grant
exceptions, you are left unable to link Openssl and Openh323 into your fork.
Any fork of a GPL project is very limited because any code you carry over
has to be strictly GPL and cannot be changed, even to allow linking in of
non gpl software.

Chris