[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk Loud Speaker Paging

Jon Carnes jonc at ftnc.net
Thu Oct 6 20:49:58 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 20:38, Erick Baum wrote:
> Has anyone had any experience setting up Asterisk with a loud speaker
> paging function?  From what I've been reading, it's possible by
> hooking up speakers to the servers sound card and somehow piping a
> phone call to the sound card output.  But I'm just wondering if
> anyone's done this and can let me know if there's anything special we
> may need to be aware of?
>
> Thanks!

We do this using an ATA (set to Auto-Answer) attached to a standard
paging system. We let professional folks install the paging system and
amplifier (to drive the speakers in the ceiling) and we simply come in
later and hook a phone line from the amplifier to the ATA.

We have several installed and running. The nice thing is that folks that
know the extension can dial in and page remotely.

Good Luck,

Jon Carnes
FeatureTel