[Asterisk-biz] Sprint Nextel sueing over VoIP patents

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Oct 4 14:43:08 MST 2005

Sprint Nextel is sueing vonage, voiceglo and theglobe.com for infringing
on VoIP patents.  Sprint Nextel claims to have about 100 patents on VoIP
technologies.  Does anyone know which ones this article is talking
about, and if so does asterisk have any of those features?

The reason I am asking is that the article is vague, Vonage uses a
fairly standard codec set, I dont know about the others.  So if its not
codecs I wonder if its something so generic that the patent would be
tossed out upon challenge.

Anyone thinking about doing a VoIP business may want to get more info
before proceeding since they may not have the millinos vonage has to
fight this.

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansascity/stories/2005/10/03/daily23.html
UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378