[Asterisk-biz] global numbering plans

Christopher Bergström cbergstrom at netsyncro.com
Sat Nov 26 06:34:01 MST 2005

trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 15:13 +0200, Christopher Bergström wrote:
>

>>I'd treat it like a wiki system and be sure to use a db that supports
>>transactions ;)  Anyhow, it would be a trust based system and if it
>>became a problem of someone messing it up a lot.. I'd simply pull it..
>>

>Technically its trust based right now, you trust that I created that
>list without fubaring it (I know its not accurate and complete I will be
>up front with that, although I am trying for accuracy).  A distributed
>trust model is however better because then you have more people to look
>at it and such, that is generally a good thing.
>
>A wiki system might work better, be easier for everyone to deal with it.
>As for the fubars I think accidental ones are far more likely than
>intentional ones.  Especially with a list that large.
>
>I checked and numberingplans.com does not have an TOS for their website,
>they claim copyright but you cant copyright public info in the US
>anyway, where I am (case law in the US was over phone books why the
>phonebook on CD companies deal with that by the file format not the data
>itself), since this is in effect a list of public info simmilar to the
>case law, I dont think there would be aproblem.  Additionally that list
>has more info than numberingplans.com does now.  I offered my additions
>to their list, however I havent yet gotten a reply.

What I was thinking actually.. Put in a db that supports transactions
and do known good checkpoints.. (Like once a day or something)  Just
look over what's been updated... Make it freely updatable (Like* a
wiki).. Have a cron job export it to CSV or whatever once a day to the
ftp server and voila...  My only problem with this is bandwidth and cpu
cycles on a db with 500k rows..  Would you or someone else be willing to
mirror?

C.