[Asterisk-biz] DS3000P - 16 E1 capacity on single card (Are we there yet or temp solution)

Christopher Bergström cbergstrom at netsyncro.com
Wed Nov 23 09:20:03 MST 2005

William wrote:

>We easily run than 600 channels in a single Telephony
>Server 5000 today. An expansion module holds four of the
>required seven Quad T1 boards. When Sangoma releases their
>eight T1/E1 card, we'll double that.

I look at some of the specs.. I'm not a hardware guy by nature.. So Dual
mysterious (cough cough StrongArm?) processors with 4Mb cache... Hmm...
(What arch?)  William : Can you send me pricing as I am curious...
(Also is it possible to change this link to not download a pdf
document... It's annoying to most I think and completely break
usability. http://www.signate.com/pdf/TelephonyServer.pdf)  Anyhow, so
I'm more clear..  I was talking about ZAP to SIP or ZAP to IAX and not
sip to sip channels.. That's why I was asking specifically about a DS3
or as many E1s that can be cramped inside a single box..  Online
documentation says 4 PCI with 3 usable x quad E1 == only 12 E1 by my
math..  You mention something about an expansion module?  (Were you just
saying in the future this will be possible with the 8 E1 Sangoma cards?)

alex at pilosoft.com wrote:

>MAX TNT + ser + asterisk.

Please pardon my ignorance.. What's the interface to connect TNT + Linux/box with *. (protocol/hardware) I do totally agree with putting ser in the middle, but our goal will put us only trunking this out to about 8 locations and those locations will actually handle the client registrations..

What's the general thought on ZAP to IAX trunking? If we do figure out a solution to get 4 quad E1 cards in a box will it perform?  Anyone with real experience that can speak with working hardware combinations.. (Thank you to those who have given suggestions offlist)

Anyone have experience with the Sbei products?

My concerns/thoughts.. are the cost, is it waay more than we currently need and standard form factor.. (iow.. could I just pop these little kit into a 2U/4U Linux server..)

dspPTMC-6415/5561..  The PTMC to PCI connection seems pretty straight forward, but still how well would the complete solution work.. ?  does someone have some first hand experience to contribute?

As I see it right now.. It look like to get that many channels you have sacrifice manageability/scalability with cost...  After out testing and finite results.. I'll let everyone on the list know the results.. We also plan to roll this out using standard/common hardware.. Any setup and patches will be posts online with a howto for future reference..

Thanks everyone

C.