[Asterisk-biz] Good Salespeople

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Mon Nov 21 10:44:30 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 12:27 -0500, Tom Hayden wrote:
> Since this is the -biz list, I thought I'd pick the minds of other
> Asterisk-related business owners.
>
> Here's my dilemma. I've got some great asterisk based services that my
> firm can offer (mostly IVR and whatnot), but I am having a hard time
> finding clientele, as my target market is rather niche (right now -
> the commercial radio biz).  Unfortunately, my area of expertise is
> telecom, *not* sales or marketing.

If your target is niche you want a sales person that has contacts in
that industry.  That way getting their foot in the door to pitch the
product is a lot easier.

> How do you find good marketing/sales people? Do you post ads or find
> them through others? Are they primarily commission-based or do you pay
> salary?  Is finding sales people for startups difficult?  Is it
> possible to outsource some of these functions?

Good sales people should find you and sell you on their service, if
they cant do that they arent that good :)

Finding sales people typically isnt  that hard if the money is there,
the problem is that until you get sales you typically dont have a lot of
money to burn.  And you do want incentive pay to ensure that the sales
people actually do their work instead of something else, unless you
really trust the sales person.  Place I was working at 10 years ago got
burnt by the sales guy that didnt produce a single lead.

> I'm curious to hear input from other business owners on this list,

Just remember in soviet russia the pbx sells you!

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378