[Asterisk-biz] Who uses only VOIP for their business? We do!

tmassey at obscorp.com tmassey at obscorp.com
Thu Nov 17 11:04:52 MST 2005

asterisk-biz-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote on 11/17/2005 12:00:13 AM:

First:  I am a very satisfied TheVoIPConnection.com customer.  They are
the first place I go when I need something.  Having said that...

I've called them maybe 10 times.  I would say that at least one third of
the time I've heard audible problems with the connection.

I'm OK with that:  they're a VoIP provider.  I expect them to use VoIP.
But for a company where the customers will not be savvy enough to
understand the issues, that is a real problem.

This is not limited to them.  I've had the same issues when calling other
VoIP companies.  I try to mention to the person on the other end when I
have these problems, but I'm not sure that everyone does that.

A slightly off-topic anecdote:  a customer of mine fired a receptionist. I
mentioned that I hated dealing with the previous woman.  He told me that I
was the third person he had heard that from, and it wasn't even noon.  He
later found out that some of his better customers had acutally started
moving small amounts of work to other suppliers because they were tired of
dealing with her!  And he had almost no clue that this was happening:  no
one told him how bad she was to deal with.

Keep that in mind when you think about going VoIP.  Make sure that you
have some way of evaluating and monitoring the quality of your calls on an
ongoing basis.  No one's going to tell you when you suck:  they're just
going to go elsewhere.

Tim Massey