[Asterisk-biz] Who uses only VOIP for their business?

Peter A. Ericksen paericksen at votri.com
Wed Nov 16 18:09:27 MST 2005

My thoughts on dealing with incoming calls and the propensity of voip providers to fail  is that ideally I will have 2 or 3 analog POTS lines with the Call Forward Variable feature enabled.

I could use the POTS lines to dial out to 911, toll free, and as a failover (for local/ld calls).

I would Call Forward these lines to a voip DID for incoming calls and give out the POTS number as my phone number instead of the voip DID.

The Call Forward Variable feature allows unlimited forwarding paths (check with your local carrier or CLEC, ymmv) so I would be able to receive multiple simultaneous calls.  If the voip provider failed I could change the Call Forwarding feature to forward calls to either a different voip provider or a cell phone or some other local number.

Obviously I would not have a separate POTS line for every DID number, but at least for the important ones such as main incoming line, main support line, main sales line, etc.