[Asterisk-biz] looking for Asterisk Hotel Solution

Michael Welter mike at telecommatters.net
Mon Nov 14 10:36:14 MST 2005

Sergey Kuznetsov wrote:
> Michael Welter wrote:
>
>> Tim Booth wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know of a commercial Asterisk solution for the
>>> hospitality market? We have a client with 3 hotels that all have
>>> about 80 single line phones and 20 admin phones per hotel. Any
>>> references would be appreciated. I have been hearing about a 24
>>> channel? Digium card for analog phones. Does anyone know if this card
>>> can light a message waiting LED on a single line phone?
>>> >

>> The problem is with the interface to the hotel's Property Management
>> System.  Asterisk must be
>> able to deliver CDR records to the PMS system in real time.  The PMS
>> must be able to
>

> This is easy to implement with (Fast)AGI scripts. Just piece of cake
> with some icing on top.

As I said before, the Asterisk side is the easy part.  The PMS interface
is typically on a serial (remember RS232 anyone?) connection with
proprietary message formats.

>> restrict 9+ dialing when a guest checks out and restore 9+ calling
>> when a guest checks in.
>> Some hotels limit 9+ dialing for guests that have prepaid, teens, etc.
>

> Same here. If someone needs it, my team can implement it.

You and everyone else.

>> Also, there are certain extension numbers that staff uses.  A maid
>> will, for example, key
>> a number to indicate a room is ready for sale.  The maid's supervisor
>> will key another
>> number to indicate the room has passed/not passed inspection.  Data
>> collection from Asterisk
>> IVR is easy, but getting the information to the PMS is another matter.
>

> If PMS' API is provided - it's doable.

That's a pretty big if.  I'm guessing here, but ask Mark how easy it was
to obtain protocol specifications from the different vendors, and at
what cost.

>> Then there is the matter of the telephone set.  The TDM24xx card is a
>> nice alternative, but can
>> four be put in one * box?  When the TDM24xx pricing becomes available
>> we'll have to do a cost
>> comparison between the TDM cards, channel banks/T1 cards, and
>> inexpensive SIP phones.  Cat3 vs.
>> Cat5 wiring, etc.
>

> I would recommend to do it with Adtran channel-banks - more robust.

Well, at what cost?  Are there cost-effective alternatives?

--
Michael Welter
Telecom Matters Corp.