[Asterisk-biz] RFQ: USA IAX Services, focused on support

Jon Carnes jonc at ftnc.net
Mon Nov 7 17:42:46 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 17:17, Kenneth Shaw wrote:
> To follow up on what Charles said, Teliax is a great company to use for
> VoIP termination. You can't go wrong with them. But as I recommend to
> all persons wishing to use VoIP, take VoIP service for what it currently
> is, unreliable but very very cheap -- ideally every business using VoIP
> should have 2 backup providers if phones are important to your business
> even at all. Also, it's good to have at least one (or more) TDM line
> installed by your ILEC too, just in case.

I whole heartedly disagree with this blanket statement.

I know you are trying to say that termination services provided via VoIP
over the internet are unreliable - and that is very true in our age.

However VoIP services can be extremely clear and reliable. My company
(FeatureTel) provides VoIP to many businesses and they love the quality
and the price. We use a hosted model were the main portion of the
clients company is directly connected to our infrastructure via a
pipeline that has QoS applied from beginning to end. The voice quality
is crystal clear - often much better than traditional PBX quality.

Our connectivity to the PSTN is through several PRI's connecting to
various ILEC's as well as SIP connections with reputable providers. This
combination lets us provide fantastic quality at VoIP pricing. It's a
model that we think will eventually drive ordinary PBX vendors out of
business.

Jon Carnes
CTO FeatureTel