Origination failover (Was: Re: [Asterisk-biz] Re: some things that really suck in customer suppor)t

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Mon Nov 7 06:37:24 MST 2005

On Monday 07 November 2005 09:59, tmassey at obscorp.com wrote:
> So what do you personally do?  Live with a single VoIP provider?  Use a
> PSTN provider?

Personally I "run" the PRI my company has.  Incoming is over the PRI, and I do
have a few VOIP-sourced DIDs that haven't given me any trouble, but they are
still single-provider (Unlimitel).

Offhand, the only thing I can think of would be to have your main VOIP DID
"fail over" to another VOIP DID from another provider.  It's till too
"disconnected" for me to trust fully though.

> P.S.:  An Orginiation provider is someone who handles incoming calls from
> the PSTN and forwards them to you via VoIP?  And a Termination provider is
> someone who handles outgoing calls from you via VoIP and forwards them to
> the PSTN?  That seems exactly backwards to me.  If the above is correct, I
> guess it goes right along with the whole FXS/FXO and DCE/DTE thing...  ;)

That is correct.  Origination providers take a call originated by the PSTN and
send that call to you.  Termination providers take your calls and terminate
them to the PSTN.

-A.