Origination failover (Was: Re: [Asterisk-biz] Re: some things that really suck in customer suppor)t

tmassey at obscorp.com tmassey at obscorp.com
Mon Nov 7 07:59:37 MST 2005

asterisk-biz-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote on 11/07/2005 08:07:54 AM:

> On Monday 07 November 2005 07:47, Bill Michaelson wrote:
> > This doesn't surprise me - I've suspected that this is the case.  I've
> > also suspected that such attention is obtained at Jeremy's whim.  I
> > would not entrust a critical business function to a person who might
> > have a capricious and mercurial personality.
>
> That's why you have failover providers for termination, as I (and most
sane
> people) do.  As far as origination failover... well that's another
matter
> enitrely.  I don't have a good solution for that.

So what do you personally do?  Live with a single VoIP provider?  Use a
PSTN provider?

Tim Massey

P.S.:  An Orginiation provider is someone who handles incoming calls from
the PSTN and forwards them to you via VoIP?  And a Termination provider is
someone who handles outgoing calls from you via VoIP and forwards them to
the PSTN?  That seems exactly backwards to me.  If the above is correct, I
guess it goes right along with the whole FXS/FXO and DCE/DTE thing...  ;)
T.J.M.