[Asterisk-biz] 911 relief?

Matt mhoppes at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 13:43:51 MST 2005

> What happens if they move the device and don't update the E911 address?
> What happens if they take the device with them on the road?  Do you lock
> it to an IP address, or range of addresses?

As much as I don't want to pass the buck.. this is their problem.  It
is the responsiblity of the end-user to update their address.  If they
do not update it when they move it is their problem, not ours.

> What if they put in a fake address?  I feel that a lot of the work being
> done to support E911 on consumer, portable, VoIP just leads to a false
> sense of security.  Will you be liable for the missed emergency call, or
> the incorrect dispatch of emergency response personnel to the fake
> address?  What kind of legal recourse do you have with the customer who
> supplied the incorrect/fake information?

If they put in a fake address and dial 911 that is their problem.
Read the FCC document... the address is the customer's responsiblity.
 I've also talked to the FCC and they have confirmed that it is the
responsiblity of the customer to update their address.. if they put
bogus information in that's their problem.

> E911 on an enterprise/corp voip deployment, using fixed locations is one
> thing, but E911 when you don't control the end device is problematic at
> best.

I understand your concerns with nomadic 911 and VoIP, however as I
said, the FCC puts the responsiblity of updating address information
on the customer.. not the provider.