[Asterisk-biz] 911 relief?

Harry McGregor hmcgregor at espri.arizona.edu
Fri Nov 4 12:47:46 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 14:03 -0500, Matt wrote:
> This is correct.   Even if a VoIP provider has E911, alot of the
> country does not have E911.   We have implimented our 911 solution as
> follows:
>
> If we were going to go nationwide, which we are considering, we will
> go with Intrado, most likely.
> However, for the time being, we are only servicing a 7 county region
> in Pennsylvania.  We worked with our phone company to give us a
> Centrix line which allows a pre-dial 911 digit.
>
> So.
> 1911 - Lycoming County
> 2911 - Montour County
> 3911 - Lackawanna County
> etc, etc, etc

Sounds reasonable for a fixed line replacement.

> When someone signs up for service they have to fil out their E911
> address before we will let them use the device.. and if they try to
> use the device before filling it out they get a recording saying they
> can't use it until they fill it out!

What happens if they move the device and don't update the E911 address?
What happens if they take the device with them on the road?  Do you lock
it to an IP address, or range of addresses?

> So... when they fill the address out, they select their county.
>
> Now, if they dial 911.. they dial "911".. we lookup the county they
> are in, and pre-pend the county ID before 911.. so someone in Lycoming
> County dials 911.. we lookup see "1" and dial 1911, which goes to the
> Lycoming County PSAP.
>
> We are doing E911 address updates through a company called 911etc
> (www.911etc.com).
>
> If a customer where to travel outside the available E911 coverage
> area, we will give them a message, when they update their address,
> that they can not use the service out there, and turn their device off
> until they update their address and move back into an area where we
> can service them with E911.

What if they put in a fake address?  I feel that a lot of the work being
done to support E911 on consumer, portable, VoIP just leads to a false
sense of security.  Will you be liable for the missed emergency call, or
the incorrect dispatch of emergency response personnel to the fake
address?  What kind of legal recourse do you have with the customer who
supplied the incorrect/fake information?

E911 on an enterprise/corp voip deployment, using fixed locations is one
thing, but E911 when you don't control the end device is problematic at
best.

			Harry