[Asterisk-biz] Best stable asterisk release for SOHO for 35 users

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Tue Nov 1 19:44:34 MST 2005

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Tom Rymes wrote:

[Deleted]

> So, in the end, contrary to your original post, this boils down to
> "Different strokes for different folks" and "I don't like AMP because
> it doesn't mesh with the way I work" rather than (and I'm
> paraphrasing here....) "Asterisk at Home is a piece of crap that isn't
> fit for small business use."

Actually no. It's not.

The paraphrasing is an incorrect one. Personally, I like where A at H is
going, and I think that it has potential to grow and eventually play in
that space. But it isn't there yet. Anyone that has ever played with an
Altigen system (despite it's broken Windows NT base OS) can tell you that
it "just works" and it's intuitive enough that a relative novice can set
it up in an hour w/out much training. When A at H has reached that level of
ease and customer friendliness, it will (IMHO) be ready to be released on
the small business community. Until then, it's still a product in
development.

A at H makes me money. Quite frankly, most of the unsolicited people that
call our company for Asterisk consulting are struggling w/ A at H
installations that have gone horribly wrong. They have worked with it for
a while and are ready for a true plug and play solution. In many cases, we
get the "I hired someone to do an installation and they put this in, and
we've been charged for all these hours of work and it's now cost more than
our Panasonic Key System did.. all we want it to do is answer the phone,
play a menu and take Voice Mails!". In these cases, we can get their
system working in a couple of hours, and in many cases w/out ever having
to physically go onsite to solve their problem.

                             KP-216-121-ST