[Asterisk-biz] Best stable asterisk release for SOHO for 35 users

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Tue Nov 1 10:33:48 MST 2005

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Jason Becker wrote:

> Greg Boehnlein wrote:
> > On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Tom Rymes wrote:
> >

> >>What problems? Which version? It works very, very well for me.
> >

> > As long as you need to do things the way that A at H has decided is the
> > "correct" way to do things. If you need to step outside of the basic
> > parameters for which it was originally intended and do any minute amount
> > of customization, the chore becomes ominous. The name of the product is
> > "Asterisk At Home" not, "Asterisk At A Small Business".
>
> As has been mentioned previously on this list, AMP has customization
> points that provide advanced users the ability to enhance their systems.
>    You really are laying it on a bit thick saying that "any minute
> amount" of customization is "omninous". I'm not sure what your
> motivation is to spread this FUD but your statement is patently false.

Not in my experiences. In my personal experiences w/ A at H, the biggest
problem is the learning curve to do something productive in it. I have
years of dial plan code that I've built for various purposes, and it is
far more efficient to take simple, stable, proven snippets of the code
that I've built to design custom dial-plans for customers than it is to
work through the AMP interface. 90% of my customer base does NOT want to
think about their PBX, or control what it does. They prefer to purchase a
solution that is fixed in configuration and design, but adds the
opportunities for them to take advantage of new technology and protocols
when they are ready and comfortable to do so. We can educate them on what
their options are and try to tell them about all the whizz bang things
that they can do, but small business customers care more about focusing on
their business than maintaining their PBX. They are happy to pay someone
w/ the expertise a few extra dollars to maintain their system for them. In
that situation, A at H opens up a ton of complexity and potential security
issues (Apache, MySQL, Php etc...) rather than a paired down, customized
system managable via SSH.

For the other 10% that DO want to muck about w/ their PBX and control it
themselves, we give them three options: A at H, SwitchVox or PBXware. To
date, after trying the commerical alternatives, no one has chosen A at H.
They are too used to things like Altigen, which in general make a lot of
sense, where AMP is designed less for user friendliness and more for
functionality. So, when they see a Switchvox or PBXware interface, they
immediately feel comfortable.

Of course, YMMV....