[Asterisk-biz] A question about ethics, I suppose

El Flynn el_flynn at lanvik-icu.com
Mon May 23 18:39:37 MST 2005

Cory Andrews wrote:
> In a past life, I was engaged with an ASP who developed large scale IVR and
> Speech Recognition applications which were delivered through a hosted model.
> Made me a firm believer in Scope of Work documentation.  We would generally
> flowchart the application, showing each and every detail, and it was a
> standard part of our bid submission.  The customer was required to sign of
> the the SOW document, and if additional development was necessary after the
> application went into production, it was very easy at that point to bill for
> it, without any finger pointing.

That's a good way to go about it. Unfortunately, these types of "formalities"
are usually overkill for a two- or three-hour job.

Often times I've come across people asking for "Can you fix up my two-box IAX
connection" or "Can you hook up five of my BudgeTones properly" type of things,
which would typically be a quickie. And these are perhaps what the original
poster meant -- someone wanting a quick fix but not wanting to fork out the
dough once it's done.

It's kind of like being overcharged two bucks on a long cab ride -- it's just
not worth the hassle sometimes..

But what I'm worried about, like Alan is, is the fact that the scammer is asking
for developers for some new work, who may end up the same fate. And if the job
is detailed I don't want to be the sap who gets the short end of the stick.

My 2 cents' worth..

Flynn