[Asterisk-biz] A question about ethics, I suppose

Cory Andrews Cory at VOIPSupply.com
Mon May 23 18:17:45 MST 2005

In a past life, I was engaged with an ASP who developed large scale IVR and
Speech Recognition applications which were delivered through a hosted model.
Made me a firm believer in Scope of Work documentation.  We would generally
flowchart the application, showing each and every detail, and it was a
standard part of our bid submission.  The customer was required to sign of
the the SOW document, and if additional development was necessary after the
application went into production, it was very easy at that point to bill for
it, without any finger pointing.

Cory Andrews
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
454 Sonwil Drive
Buffalo, NY 14225
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
v - 800.398.VOIP Ext 22
f - 716.630.1548
e - Cory at VOIPSupply.com

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-biz-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-biz-bounces at lists.digium.com]On Behalf Of steve szmidt
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2005 9:11 PM
To: Commercial and Business-Oriented Asterisk Discussion
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-biz] A question about ethics, I suppose

On Monday 23 May 2005 20:18, Paul wrote:
> Michael Giagnocavo wrote:
> >I know a lot of people have bashed requirements and specifications
> >documents, seeing them as just junk that slows you down. Yes, it takes
> > time. But without it, no one is quite sure what they're building. If
> > you're writing a 3 hour hack job, that's one thing. But anything more
> > involved than a day, and there has just GOT to be a clearcut
expectation.
> > Sometimes clients don't want to pay for intangibles like a project
> > manager.
>
> There are a lot of people trying to get into high-tech business who
> don't understand the difference between a sales proposal and a first
> draft of the project roadmap and budget. Some of them post on these
> lists seeking a consultant. They have no clear requirements and
> specifications but they want an estimate. So I tell them something like
> 5 to 10 hours is needed just to study it and get that first draft. They
> object because thye don't understand that 5 to 10 hours might tell them
> whether the project is in the $10k, $100k, $1m class. I recently made a
> decision that I am no longer going to work for people who refuse to do
> anything the right way. No docs, no backup, no security policies, etc.
> makes me look almost as bad as the bozos I am working for. If you work
> for people like that, you are working for losers. It's always harder to
> get paid by losers.

Amen!

If people are not willing/able to pay - they usually will become trouble.

Too cheap to do it right equals cutting needed corners. And as you said, we
end up being the ones looking bad, as we should have known better.

Somehow these people will lie and or make decisions that becomes costly.
They seem to want someone to make them feel/look good, rather than doing a
good job.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin