[Asterisk-biz] Re: A question about ethics, I suppose

Alan Smith didyou.rtfm at gmail.com
Sun May 22 18:02:07 MST 2005

Hello all,

Thank you for all your responses, insight and valuable advice. After
taking it all into consideration, I've come up with the conclusion
that it would be best to alert other Asterisk consultants to the risk
of taking up the perpetrator's work offer.

Reasoning:

1. The client has answered repeated phone calls, emails and SMS
messages and most of the time they either don't answer the phone or
provide an evasive reply (classic behavior of an account about to
switch over to bad debt)

2. The client is trolling for other consultants/developers for a new
job on the Asterisk-Users list where, I assume, there might be more
virgin/naif Asterisk developers who might be duped

3. We need to look out for one another. It's not a large community.

The five or so hours worth of work that client owes really will not
make me a richer or a poorer man, so I'm not using the forum for my
own selfish motives to get him to pay up. Rather, I don't want others
to go through the same hassle.

Plus, the client is not located in the US, so if anyone of the US or
Europe-based consultants were to take up the offer it would be that
much harder for you to collect should the deal turn sour.

I'll give the client one more chance, and if there's no reply then
I'll make the posting.

Cheers

p/s in order to protect both my client and my reputation/credibility,
the original post was made under a pseudonym and this temporary email
address, just so I can be sure that no-one is inadvertantly
dissed/flamed/slandered .. so when I make that post of *-users under
my real name I hope those who participated in this discussion will not
feel slighted.. many thanks again