[Asterisk-biz] A question about ethics, I suppose

steve szmidt steve at szmidt.org
Sun May 22 07:07:40 MST 2005

On Sunday 22 May 2005 08:39, Alan Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering if some people on the list can give their opinion on a
> business-related matter I'm facing.
- - -
> So the question is this: would it be ethical to reply to the client's
> posting, and use this public forum to warn others of the risk of doing
> business with the client? Would it be construed as slander? I'm just
> concerned that he might rip other people off, and would just like to
> warn others.

Nothing wrong to make it public, slander is based on lies.

These are a couple of my rules for happy living:
Always treat others the way you like to be treated.
Always try to give a bit higher/better exchange than was expected.

Now there will always be people who want to take advantage of you. I've had a
few people who were perfectly happy to "run me out of business" by wanting
free, or next to free service. So I say free service is free fall.

Of course you need to have things in writing. Even between best friends. Not
because you are going to rip each other off, but because when you forget a
detail you can always go back to it. Verbal communication is gone once
spoken, there's no trace of it, so I always keep it in writing.

People make mistakes, so you offer them an easy way to make up for it. When
they have a hard time with it, you work with them. But always under some
written agreement. It can be updated if found unworkable.

I think it's a good gradient to make a posting indicating that you are
contemplating making the whole thing publicly known. Gives the other party a
chance to realize that they need to work something out with you, or get their
name in slung in mud.

Verbal agreements are just as binding as written ones. They are just tougher
to prove. But since you have invoices of work done in the past you can show
that you have been providing service, and getting paid for it. You have your
own record of time and actions. Should be easy to prove in a court if needed.

Life offers all sorts of situations, but you are always responsible for your
own condition. And it's how you deal with them that shows what you are made
out of.

Finally, if things go wrong, communicate more. Whatever happens, communicate
more, in the end it will improve the situation.

To the other party, sit down and take a good look at the situation. Now is the
time to "eat crow" and go back and offer a solution. Today is the first day
of your new life. Get things in order and live a happer life!
--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin