[Asterisk-biz] The FCC VoIP 911 oreder is official.

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Thu May 19 10:05:12 MST 2005

On Thu, 19 May 2005, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Robert Wolpov wrote:
> > $Millions will be made by attorneys debating that question.
>
> I doubt that... the order announcement seems pretty clear, although we
> haven't seen the actual order yet.
Announcement doesn't say.

> I'd say that if you are providing VOIP services that are specifically
> intended to provide access to the PSTN, and you allow outbound calling
> using a "normal" dialing pattern (not a calling card) from a typical
> desk set of any type, then you are 'interconnected' and the order will
> apply to you. But IANAL, of course :-)
How about if you provide something like skypeout (which does not allow
inbound calling), there's a requirement for PSAP to be able to reach you
back - but its not available...How about if you only provide inbound calls
to say, call center - would you be required to provide e911? :)

This is going to be a pain, that's for sure.

-alex