[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk Contractor Wanted

Chris Ochs voip at paymentonline.com
Thu May 12 17:41:58 MST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "steve" <steve at 17q.com>
To: "'Commercial and Business-Oriented Asterisk Discussion'"
<asterisk-biz at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 5:20 PM
Subject: RE: [Asterisk-biz] Asterisk Contractor Wanted

> Did you know that Download.com, Upload.com code is written in Russia and
> their complete software department is located in Russia.    Did you know
> that a lot of code with Ebay was written in Kiev.
>
> We have got some real good code from Russia, Ukraine and Mexico.     The
> American programmers are overpriced to the rest of the world.   Let's
> remember, this is not Assembly or machine language programming.

A lot of this really depends on what kind of applications are being
developed.  For a lot of general purpose stuff outsourcing overseas works
great.  I know in our business I couldn't even touch it (coding
financial/banking applications).  Plus you have communication issues.  I've
spent a good deal of time in Russia.  I know the people there.  They are
bright and hardworking, but customer oriented they usually are not.  It's
just not in the culture as of yet.

But people shouldn't think that outsourcing overseas is such a bad thing.
Trying to protect our programmers from lower wage competition overseas will
hurt us in the long run.  If someone else can do it better for less, let
them.  Capitalize on it and it will create whole new industries and free up
creative talent to do what we are good at.   But the fact that in the
meantime it's disruptive and people lose their jobs blinds people to the
bigger picture.

Chris