[Asterisk-biz] 911 Thread

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Sat May 7 18:56:40 MST 2005

Anonymous Account wrote:

>Expecting some kind of "out" by thinking that FCC would let someone
>"waive" or opt out of 911 is ridiculous.  You (as a VoIP customer) in
>essence would be waiving someone else's right to expect 911 to be
>available by a telephone.  By that I mean if you have a customer,
>guest, contract worker or whatever on your premise and an emergency
>arises that requires a call to 911 -- that visitor or customer has an
>expectation that 911 will be available.  It doesn't take Perry Mason
>to figure out what would follow next if it wasn't and injury or death
>followed the inability to make a 911 call.

What is truly ridiculous is the idea that I can't have a wisip or
softphone account because I can't waive or opt out of 911. Do I have to
wear a monitoring device like some parolees do in order to use my wisip
phone away from my official 911 database location? I guess all IP phones
and ata's will need GPS technology added. Asterisk and other FOSS
solutions will be outlawed because the sysadmin can easily tweak it so
that it send s what looks like valid GPS data without buying any GPS
hardware.

>911 and an expectation of 911 on EVERYthing that looks like a
>telephone will not go away.  VoIP providers will just have to deal
>with this if they want to be anything more than a hobby.
>
>Quit whining and support folks like Jason P. Talley if not with $$$
>then a campaign similar to what the Linux community is doing to out
>the claims of SCO.  If you don't know what I'm talking about just
>Google SCO + IBM + Linux or just go to www.groklaw.net and see what
>can be done by a united technology community.

This is not whining at all. Give the FCC a free hand and it will be
cheaper to use a non-US voip provider for all your US termination. Will
the FCC try to outlaw origination-only voip providers since they will
have no need at all to provide 911 service? They just might have to do
that because otherwise I will get my DID's from one vendor and do all my
termination through a low-cost offshore vendor. What next, big brother?

I say the FCC needs some serious ass kicking. If they are so worried
about my safety they can run copper into my home for free and connect a
red phone to it.