[Asterisk-biz] Vonage bows to 911 pressure

steve szmidt steve at szmidt.org
Fri May 6 03:03:46 MST 2005

On Friday 06 May 2005 00:48, Paul wrote:

> provider should never be penalized. The current E911 system relies
> heavily on information provided by the people who actually know where
> the copper wire goes. A few years ago I got a pots line at a previously
> unwired address. The ILEC made calls to the town hall, the postmaster
> and the chief of the volunteer fire department to confirm the address. A
> voip provider can't do that. Even if they restricted me to an IP address
> or subnet they would still need me to keep them updated. I can move 100
> miles away but if I stay with the same dsl provider I will have the same
> IP addresses.

Don't you give out a caller ID with your system? Mine does. As long as the
asterisk box is not moved the address is the same. (Though I confess not
having much education on the subject.) Last time I added a new address I
simply called 911 and gave it. (In Florida.)

I understand that there's a database maintained, what's so hard about having a
number/address pair added to it? Or is it because many/most providers don't
let you pass along your CID?

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin