[Asterisk-biz] Vonage bows to 911 pressure

Mojo Jojo mylist at lightwavetech.com
Thu May 5 21:38:22 MST 2005

Well, until we have lots of extra lawyer money laying around, I want to stay
as far from anything related to 911 as possible.

I would rather say that we don't provide it or find a way to not provide it
and make sure my customer knows this then be liable for someone dying
because we had a router down and couldn't get to 911.

To me, the idea of VOIP and 911 just kills me (pardon the pun). It's a great
service but it's not near as reliable with all the links in the chain and
possible points of failure, as TDM.

Fact is, if I was on my last leg and laying in a pool of blood I would
rather have a POTS line to dial my 911! How about you folks?

I just think that requiring that we use 911 is almost silly..

Are they also going to require that we never have a failure on a piece of
equipment or one of our data links?

It's all quite scary if you ask me.. One minute we are providing a great
service, saving people money, adding features they can't get elsewhere.. The
next we are responsible for peoples lives in a 911 situation? hmmm...

Just something to think about..

I would rather provide second line service and tell people to keep their
primary line for emergency use.

Heck, what about when someone's crappy DSL connection is down when they need
to call 911? Do I get sued too because they couldn't call 911? Oh or maybe
it's there ISP that gets sued because their DSL was down when they wanted to
call 911!

There is a LOT to think about, and I think some of these issues need to be
brought up to the FCC.. It's not as easy as saying VOIP providers SHOULD be
required to offer it. It's just not!!

Fact is, if people want a service as reliable as a copper line for emergency
use or otherwise then they should keep the copper line.

When you decide to rip out all your copper and make the leap to 100% VOIP in
your house, you also make the leap into a less reliable world of
communications.

If you want 5 9's of service with 911, keep the copper and buy VOIP as a
second line etc..

Sorry, rant over.. I just get real ticked with all these governmental
agencies throwing around their BS when they have no clue what they are
poking their heads into.

Private Label Wholesale Internet Access!
http://www.YourOwnISP.com