[Asterisk-biz] Vonage Bows to 911 Pressure

Mike asterisk.forum at teliax.com
Thu May 5 21:38:56 MST 2005

Well i would agree with Paul here...

Wireless ( Cell phones ) are tower based .. and cell users are moving
around.. but the whole point is WHY would you be obliged to use 911 ?

You know personally i called the cops 9 times in my life and always used
local number for them .. Dont tel me you guys cant find it .. of course
911 is a courtesy number we are all used now but what difference is this
to a novelty number ? ( don't tell me emergency stuff..)
i can call XXX0911 here and the cops answer.. without even thinking of it.

AS such it seems like a scheme to take down indivuduals or small companies
taking a shot on this market..
my 2 cents.

> We really need to convince the regulators that mandatory 911 support
> for voip is senseless. Wireless 911 is based on the tower you are
> using at the time, not the wireless company you have an account with.
> Real 911 support for voip would place a burden on the ISP to provide
> IP to physical address mapping. Even worse, the voip provider might
> have to refuse device registration when such mapping is not available
> in order to comply with the regulations. You take your ata or
> softphone to a hotel whose ISP does not provide the mapping and you
can't make calls.
> That dog won't hunt.
All of the above makes sense for mobile providers. Sort of. For fixed line
providers, you have no excuses.

For mobile providers, you *must* give an option to the customer to provide
their location in case they have emergency. Face it - people don't move
*all that often* and all the talk about "hunting for the location" is just
creating excuses to not to provide emergency service in the most likely
case - when the customer at his stationary location.

I don't see what's wrong with FCC requiring that.

-alex

Mike
Customer Business Customization
Teliax Inc

Téléphone - Internationnal / Phone - Worldwide: +1-303-629-8300
Sans frais - Canada & É.-U./ Toll Free -.Canada &  USA: +1-888-270-3688
Visitez-nous sur internet à/ Visit us on the Web:  www.teliax.com