[Asterisk-biz] Vonage bows to 911 pressure

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Thu May 5 19:15:01 MST 2005

On Thu, 5 May 2005, Paul wrote:

> We really need to convince the regulators that mandatory 911 support for
> voip is senseless. Wireless 911 is based on the tower you are using at
> the time, not the wireless company you have an account with. Real 911
> support for voip would place a burden on the ISP to provide IP to
> physical address mapping. Even worse, the voip provider might have to
> refuse device registration when such mapping is not available in order
> to comply with the regulations. You take your ata or softphone to a
> hotel whose ISP does not provide the mapping and you can't make calls.
> That dog won't hunt.
All of the above makes sense for mobile providers. Sort of. For fixed line
providers, you have no excuses.

For mobile providers, you *must* give an option to the customer to provide
their location in case they have emergency. Face it - people don't move
*all that often* and all the talk about "hunting for the location" is just
creating excuses to not to provide emergency service in the most likely
case - when the customer at his stationary location.

I don't see what's wrong with FCC requiring that.

-alex