[Asterisk-biz] Vonage bows to 911 pressure

Chris Ochs voip at paymentonline.com
Thu May 5 11:28:19 MST 2005

----- Original Message ----- >
> Anyone that got into the VoIP business and didn't do their homework (aka
> the entire Lemonade Stand, Reseller of a Reseller, Voice over Public
> Internet) is in trouble. Expect much of the market to consolidate, dry up
> and eventually be taken over ny the ILECS, same as Dial Up, DSL and
> Dedicated Internet Access.

Although know one knows yet, I doubt the same regulations will apply to all
types of voip service equally.  For example what about origination only
services, or wholesale suppliers?   Will E911 regulation apply only to
companies that provide 'dialtone' ?

I also think that companies like Qwest, Level3, and XO will start to offer
voip E911 at their level, and offer it as an additional service to their
resellers.  It only makes sense.  Or it might be a mandatory bundling,
depending on how the regulations shake out.

Chris