[Asterisk-biz] UK Toll Free

Craig asterisk at nihost.net
Wed Mar 30 16:46:15 MST 2005

Hi Nicklass,

Just been through a similar look and see, not quite on the same scale
though.

Please note the following is purely my conclusions from feedback on this
list and elsewhere, keeping in mind I am in a remote location in the
southern hemisphere and look for information (not fancy graphics) on
websites.  My experience is that a website that gives detailed
information on a product and facilities (usually means they have done it
before and may have even got it working) is usually a better indication
of a product that will work, rather than a site, that says contact us
for information (this usually means they will work out how to do it,
once you contact them).

I ended up finding http://www.voiptalk.org for my requirements and are
about to go with them. Just to give a rundown on some of my findings,
might save you some time....

http://www.VirtualPhoneLine.com seem to offer Did's just about anywhere
in the world, and push them on this list whenever someone asks, however
from spending a bit of time on their website (and affiliated websites),
all I can detect is that they infact offer a forwarding service to
another number, not actual termination to SIP or IAX (please correct me
if I am wrong and point me in the right direction), it would be my
expectation that termination is what most people on the list are looking
for, not a double translation to a second carrier.

http://www.livevoip.com seem to have reasonable grade services and offer
0800 uk numbers at a reasonable price. However as we aren't terminating
in the US we decided to go with a UK provider to keep the worldwide
numbers distinctly separate.

http://www.voiptalk.org seem to have the best offering for our
requirements, basically it is free of monthly charges 0845, 0870 numbers
and they seem to have quite good facilities for forwarding etc if your
IAX goes down, so for instance you can get them to forward to a us
landline if your IAX goes down.

There is a number of other suppliers out there that may meet your
requirements, just spend a couple of days Googling....

To give you a breakdown on UK call costs (as I have been able to work
out)...

0870 numbers are what they call national numbers and cost the caller
about 10p/min, You can get these from lots of places at no cost, cause
the receiving party gets a cut from the carrier, which if you are
getting reasonable call quantities you can get a cut off, people like
British Airways use these Reservations and probably earn themselves 4 or
5p a min whilst they leave customers on hold, great deal if you can get
it.

0845 numbers are what they call local numbers and cost the caller about
5p/min. Again the receiving party gets a cut from the carrier, which
means if you look around you can get these for nothing (but probably
won't earn any revenue).

0800 numbers are in fact free (I gather to all callers, not sure about
mobiles?) you will pay 3 or 4p a min to receive calls.

You might also consider a local geographic DID as I am told many
consumers have call plans that provide very cheap calls to a local
number anywhere in the UK, so in other words it is cheaper for people to
ring a geographic number on the other side of the country than ring a
0845 national number.

However as I said above, many of the big companies seem to get away with
the 0870 and I can only presume people ring them (maybe it is because
their choices are limited) we went with an 0845 number, simply because
we didn't want people using a 0800 number as an information service
cause it is free. I would suggest you find out what the prefix is of
your competitors and you will get an idea of how well it is accepted.

If anybody would like to add anything or correct any mistakes in my
conclusions, please feel free to do so, as I said previously it is only
what I have worked out from information available, I don't claim to be
an expert on UK termination, just somebody going through a similar
exercise and offer some help back to users that have helped me.

Craig.

  _____