[Asterisk-biz] credit card payment

Kenneth Shaw ken at expitrans.com
Wed Mar 30 16:25:55 MST 2005

Seshu,

I do not feel that your posting is fair. It infers that my post was
referring to a scam.

No where did I talk about setup charge, shopping cart fee, gateway fee,
maintenance fee, monthly statement fees.

Also, a discount rate of 2.25 to 3.00% is standard. As well as
transaction gateway fees of $.05 or more per transaction.

The reality is that in a high assessed risk category of selling
intangible products such as VoIP service, you'd be very lucky to get
even close to 2.00% in merchant account fees. 3-4% is standard for this
category of services.

Not to mention, your posting of what constitutes a fraudulent merchant
account is faulty.

Fraudulent merchant accounts are those that charge abnormally high
rolling reserve rates (anything over 10%), delay payments over a span of
multiple weeks, charge hidden fees such as "cash transfer fee", or those
that don't transfer rolling reserves when they're supposed to. Statement
fees, transaction fees, and percentages are normal for any merchant
account -- it is the cost of doing business with credit cards. You see
these same charges whether you're working through
Visa/MasterCard/American Express/Discover. Anyone who states otherwise
is a) lying to you, or b) doesn't understand merchant accounts.

We don't do merchant accounts as our primary business. We offer a large
set of business to business services to the telemarketing industry. It
so happens that telemarketers often need to be connected with high risk
merchant accounts, and so we have offered our services to prospective
clients in this respect.

Any VoIP provider using PayPal as primary form of payment or does not
have a properly classified merchant account is at risk of having their
accounts terminated by PayPal or their processing bank.

Selling VoIP service via PayPal is strictly prohibited by their terms of
service, and would be classified as fraudulent activity by any
processing bank if it was not properly listed in the correct category
and at the appropriate rate assessed for that level of risk.