[Asterisk-biz] ITSP Rant

Brian West brian.west at mac.com
Wed Mar 30 11:57:29 MST 2005

> OK, so I'm not alone here. Between your response, Mike Benoit's, and
> several others, it seems like a few of us are looking for
> enterprise-class service, such as what we'd experience if we carefully
> selected an HSP for a server farm. Pay a premium and get taken care
> of. It's like something I experienced a few years ago when I made the
> mistake of putting a freelance client on a Win2K shared server at
> HostPro. When our .ASP script was getting hammered with 70K hits a
> day, it was leaning on the app pool too hard. Even though HostPro sold
> us a Windows Server product, their tech support scoffed at us when we
> asked why it couldn't support the load. They laughed and said "well,
> you shouldn't even try to do that on Windows, use Linux instead. We'll
> reset the IIS service and you can wait and see. Oh, and, no, even
> though your contract says we monitor the server, that's only for
> static .HTML, if the ASP interpreter dies, we wouldn't know about it."
> Come on. Why sell a product, claim it works, and then blame the
> technology. We switched to a company who espouses service over
> everything else (MaximumASP) and shoved three times as much traffic on
> there, and it hasn't missed a beat in four years. Seriously.

Well are we forgetting that you'll NEVER and I do mean NEVER get
enterprise class quality as long as you depend on the public internet
to deliver calls.  Thats the bottom line.... we can argue till we are
blue in the face other wise... but unless you control everything
between point A and point Z... you're SOL.

/b