[Asterisk-biz] Looking for SS7 design input

William Waites ww at groovy.net
Wed Mar 30 09:30:01 MST 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 10:45:54AM -0500, Race Vanderdecken wrote:

> Greetings All,
>
>       I am looking for input on what an SS7 interface to Asterisk should
> look like and what it will need to be of any use.

Hi,

I would favour an approach that was not tightly coupled to Asterisk.
It would involve improving the Asterisk SIP channel to support SIP-T,
and at that point what you want is an SS7 <---> SIP-T translator, which
is also independently useable.

Often you will have a separate T1 that would be used only for signalling,
and that could even be handled by a Digium card, but the software to control
this T1 needn't be Asterisk, though you might look to Asterisk as documentation
on how to get bits in and out of the hardware.

Remember that you can use a single T1 to carry signalling for many DS3s
worth of telephone calls, so there isn't that much need to have the STP
be the same box as the media gateway.

For the SS7 stack itself, you might look at OpenSS7, which I am sure you
must have already found... Even though it uses SysV streams...

-w
--
William Waites, Consulting Technologist
Consultants Ars Informatica S.A.R.F.