[Asterisk-biz] ITSP Rant

Robert Goodyear me at jrob.net
Tue Mar 29 22:58:46 MST 2005

Warning: the following is a discussion starter about internet telephony
service providers. Feel free to completely ignore this post if you are
not interested in a discussion around some constructive feedback about
the commercialization of IP telephony and the service industry
surrounding it.

I just received a bland email from VoicePulse connect about changes in
their service. I've been grouchy about the level of customer service
provided by the VoIP carriers, and this latest note just put me over
the edge. This particular note informed me that new terms of service
would be in force for my account on April 1st, but nowhere was it
mentioned what changes were made to the terms, nor a link to them, nor
a knowledgebase article about them.

I need to vent a little bit here, and my hope is that if any VoIP
providers participate in this list they might get on the clue train and
realize that their existence is bound to be short-lived if they don't
learn that VoIP -- just like ANY new technology -- is soon to be just
another commodity and the only differentiating advantage will be
reliability and customer service.

How is it that companies can push a wholesale/reseller product and not
offer ANY sort of SLA or financial recourse? I'm not talking five nines
here, but how about something like "if your DID is down for more than
five days, we'll credit you for the month."

Why do none of the providers generate the equivalent of a monthly
invoice? Why do *few* of the providers have a reliable trouble
ticketing system that actually generates some sort of paper trail?

Here's the thing: Customer Relationship Management is not difficult. It
requires very little overhead to build a relationship with a customer
in such a way that those customers become that company's evangelists
and stick around for the long run. When things level out, it's going to
come down to where the customers have gravitated that determines the
lifespan of an ITSP. And customers will gravitate AWAY from a provider
that thinks customer service should only be directly proportional to
cost per minute. I firmly do NOT buy the argument that because minutes
are being offered at such a steep discount, you're on your own for
support.

I'll sign off with a quote from one provider's sales page; the place
where one customarily *begins* the process of wooing clients.

"Don't waste our time trying to get the costs down if you are not going
to do a higher quantity. You will be wasting your time as well."

Nice.