[Asterisk-biz] lowest voip service with IAX2 termination

Ed Greenberg edg at greenberg.org
Mon Mar 28 11:15:18 MST 2005

--On Saturday, March 26, 2005 11:43 AM -0600 Anton Krall
<akrall-lists at intruder.com.mx> wrote:

> I understand what you say Brandon but that’s exactly what I was wondering.
> If when using pstn, the called person of an 800 number is the one that
> pays for the call, why on voip, the calle has to pay something when in
> fact, when connecting the call, the voip providers doesn’t pay for the
> call either, the connecting from their voip equipment to pstn for that
> cal is also paid by the persona owning the 800 number.

If you dial an 800 number from your own PTSN line, you have costs. You pay
for the line and you pay a minimum for a long distance carrier to carry the
charges.

When you connect to a Voip carrier, they are providing the resources to
connect you to the long distance carrier that will connect you to the
terminating point. The 800 customer pays the long distance carrier for his
part, and he has to settle with your long distance carrier.

In voip, none of that money will go back to the voipjets or livevoips in
the middle of the call. Thus they cannot give it to you free.

If you wanted to call that 800 number via copper, it would cost you at
least $20/month for the line to do it, and you could only carry one call
(two with three-way) at a time.

It's apples to oranges.

</edg>