[Asterisk-biz] Re: [Asterisk-Users] Newbie Question

Alistair Cunningham acunningham at integrics.com
Fri Mar 4 10:57:27 MST 2005

Jason,

I'm a bit confused by your response. I stated that you could have a
basic working system in under a day. You then say that with AMP you can
have a basic working system in a few hours. These two statements don't
seem all that different to me, especially when I include time to get an
E1 working, which always requires some fiddling with parameters, even if
you have GUI to do it.

The 'couple more days' are for things which a GUI won't help a great
deal with, such as:

- Connecting to some existing quirky equipment.
- Doing a custom dialplan with macros etc to make phones behave like the
old PBX that management is used to and can't stand to lose the custom
features of.
- Ditto for voicemail.
- Testing testing testing.
- Writing documentation.
- Planning the next steps.

There's no way you can do all this in a few hours. The testing step
alone should take at least that long, usually more. Custom development
can take anywhere from hours to weeks, depending on what the customer wants.

For residential use, tools like AMP are ideal, but businesses tend to be
more demanding. They like products that fit in with the way they work,
not products that make them change the way they work. Don't
underestimate the desire of businesses to keep user interfaces the same
when installing a new product. I've installed some systems where we've
added features that mimic a system that was bought in the 1980s that
management loves but can't get support for any more. This is the market
I cater to; I still do small straightforward installations of a few
hours if customers ask, but most customers want more than that.

Alistair Cunningham,
Integrics Ltd,
Telephony, Database, Unix consulting worldwide
+44 (0)7870 699 479
http://integrics.com/