[Asterisk-biz] Porting Fees

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Wed Jun 29 13:14:12 MST 2005

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 12:34 pm, Daryl Sanders wrote:
> I have seen mostly a one time charge of around $25. I would
> personally stay away from anyone wanting to charge a monthly fee.

Exactly.  Equally disturbing (to me personally) are companies that build
this sort of thing into their monthly fees.  If they have a high
customer churn rate, then they dont recover their porting costs.  Or,
if you're a long term customer then you end up paying for it many times
over (or worse, paying for the churn).  The same goes for "unlimited"
plans that have the low-usage customers paying for the high-usage
customers that haven't hit the limits on the "unlimited" plans yet.

I know that many customers don't get past up-front fees, but still, I
personally would prefer to know that a company that I'm dealing with is
making a reasonable profit at each step of the way and not likely to
evaporate into a bankruptcy court hearing.  Especially if they're
holding my ported home number.

That's why I like (for example) one of Teliax's plan models where I can
pay by the minute, pay by the DID and pay for special things like a
porting fee or an hourly support rate for truly special support items.
At least, I *hope* they're making a profit at each step of the way.

Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com