[Asterisk-biz] VoipJet welcomes LiveVoip Customers

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Sun Jun 26 12:53:49 MST 2005

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005, Forrest Christian wrote:

> You know, there are very good reasons why you may not want to use a real
> merchant account anymore.  Unless you ship real goods to an
> Address-Verified address, you are pretty much on the hook for any fraud
> that occurs.  Someone buys thousands of dollars of termination with a
> stolen credit card you are pretty much screwed with a normal merchant
> account.  With paypal you gain an added level of security.  Many fairly
> large companies are moving toward a paypal-preferred payment method.
Uhhh, talk to me when *any large company* uses paypal exclusively.

Also, keep in mind, that consequences of having fraudulent purchases
from you through paypal are often *worse* than if you were a merchant.

Read all those 'paypal sucks' stories - in many of them, a legit seller
with large volumes had their accounts frozen (not just the money in
question) just because of a single fraudulet transaction. If this were a
proper merchant account, you would be guaranteed that monies in dispute
would be paid to you (in the very worst case, 6 months later, but you'd
still get them). You would also have specific legal rights, according to
your merchant agreement, against the acquirer.

-alex