[Asterisk-biz] CC Fraud

programming dept programming at calleveryone.com
Sat Jun 18 15:22:04 MST 2005

on 6/18/05 10:09, Justin B Newman at justin.newman at binhost.com wrote:

> Have any of the other termination providers seen a significant increase
> in CC fraud recently?  In the last few weeks, we've seen a -huge-
> upswing in signups utilizing information appearing legitimate, but
> ultimately tied to a stolen CC.  (Using the name of the CC's owner as
> the person signing up for the account).
>
> For us, a fair amount of manual work has been necessary to determine
> that the accounts are fraudulent and ultimately close them.
>
> Does anyone have any automated strategies (Yes, we already use AVS and
> CVV checks) for catching CC fraud?

We are now calling back each new customer who signs up with us for voice
verification that they want the order placed.  For us we are seeing about a
30% fraud rate.  It could be because of our unique pricing.

Oddly enough if we pushed the orders right out when they come in the credit
card would work.  ...the cards are sooo hot when they place the orders that
most victims dont even know their card has been hi-jacked.

We just love it when people say that they heard about us by Television .
Since we have not done TV yet its almost an instant flag that the order is
fraud.  Oh and another flag that we have seen is when they use a 1 to start
their NPA-NXX like 123-4328.  We also tracking each order by IP address now.
If the order is a RIPE address we flag it too.

--
Stu