[Asterisk-biz] CC Fraud

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 09:47:56 MST 2005

> > Does anyone have any automated strategies (Yes, we already use AVS and
> > CVV checks) for catching CC fraud?
>
> I'm curious what do you mean exactly by fraud in this case, assuming
> avs and cvv were both a match?    Is there a scam they run on you, or
> are you referring to chargebacks, etc..?
>
> Chris

Never mind, too early in the morning I didnt' catch that they were stolen...

It's actually fairly rare to get transactions that pass cvv that are
stolen cards, at least in most industries.  If you see high
percentages of that, I'm guessing it's a scam with the cardholders
consent, or a batch of physical cards that were stolen.  Both cases
are usually pretty rare.

I've also seen a lot of merchants who thought the avs and cvv checks
were working differently then they actually were.  You might want to
double check that those stolen cards actually passed cvv.  And if the
order was from outside the US the avs checks don't do you any good at
all.

If you have to accept orders from overseas it's trickier.  There is
only one way to tell what country a card is from, and that is to check
the bank bin which is part of the cardnumber.  That database is a few
hundred bucks to obtain.

Chris