[Asterisk-biz] Solid-State appliance for Asterisk

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Mon Jun 13 10:24:07 MST 2005

Jim Van Meggelen wrote:
> asterisk-biz-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
>
>>On Thu, April 21, 2005 10:05 am, Tamer Zanaty said:
>>
>>>What is your recommendation for solid-state appliance for asterisk
>>>for large number or branch offices (5-20 extensions)?
>>
>>Soekris kits are highly recommended by many people, although I have
>>yet to use one.
>

> Kristian Kielhofner's most excellent AstLinux distro does a bang-up job
> on this platform. I wouldn't run more than a few phones on it though.
>

>>http://soekris.com/
>>
>>See also:
>>
>>http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Embedded+Systems
>>
>>Note: hardware requirements will go up dramatically if the appliance
>>needs to do any transcoding.
>

> Transcoding more than a few calls will bog down the Soekris. It's only
> got a 266MHz brain in it. Having said that, it is possible to run a
> Sangoma T1 card through the thing - again, as long as you don't
> transcode or echo cancel.
>
> The Soekris has the brains, just not the horsepower.
>
> Oh yeah, and don't cheap out on your CF card - SanDisk only.
>
> Regards,
>

> Jim.
>

> --
> Jim Van Meggelen
> jim. at vanmeggelen.ca

Jim,

	As usual, right on.  As far as Soekris is concerned, the Net7501 is on
it's way:

http://lists.soekris.com/pipermail/soekris-tech/2005-March/022860.html

	Larger form factor, but hopefully the Athlon-64 Mobile will have a
better FPU... :)

	It should be mentioned that using a Sangoma/Digium T1/E1 card with HDLC
data is totally acceptable.

--
Kristian Kielhofner