[Asterisk-biz] dialing a remote 911 number

Matt mhoppes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 06:59:18 MST 2005

You can dial the number but often it is an administrative number and
that won't cut it for E911 compliance.

To comply with E911 you need to access the E911 trunks (which can only
be done via a CLEC/iLEC interconnect).    You also need to update the
PS/ALI database.

If you are going to update the database yourself (as we do) a company
like 911etc.com may help you.   Alternatively Verizon also has plans
in place to allow VoIP providers to update the database, if you are
using them.

As far as routing the calls correctly, you will need to either have a
provider like Level3 or Qwest which can route the call to the correct
PSAP, or you'll need cLEC/iLEC agreements (like we have) to allow you
to route the calls out the PRIs to the PSAPs in question.