[Asterisk-biz] CID Spoofing

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 13:53:59 MST 2005

On 7/28/05, Mike <asterisk.forum at teliax.com> wrote:
> Not to be a party crasher, but
>
> aint it ILLEGAL to DO that with "intention" of impersonating without
> permission ?

Nobody is intending to impersonate, we are just calling with someone
elses number, and the called party thinks before they pick up that it
is another person, and when they start taling they relize that it is
not. Where do you see intent of impersonating, it just intent that the
called party picks up.

> listen.. if you think its legal..
>
> call the cops with theyr own number and ask them

Yeah, you can do that, and guess what, they have E911, and even on the
private direct precent lines, where there is no E911, there aint
ANYTHING they can legaly do, if you didn't impersonate anybody. While
impersonating a cop is illegal everywhere (I'm assuming on the
everywhere part). Impersonating a person is not (again I mean for
everywhere), unless it has criminal intent with it.

> call telco with theyr own number

and what? they can't do anthing anyhow, and that is if they notice.
Well if I call Teliax with their own number what you going to do?

> impsersonating..
>
> > If you can't get a hold of
> > > someone just call him with the callerID of his wife, girl friend, or
> > > boss, and you'll be surprised of the results.
>

> Thats seem to pattern match the definition/.
>
> now impersonate, lets say the bank and call your friend..
>
> on a legal point of view.. the bank can/could sue since your are using
> it's credentials "WITHOUT PERMISSION" which is the keyword of the day.

No they cannot, phone numbers are not trade marks. But if I'm using it
for criminal then you have the impersonation to commit a crime with
it.

> TELCO generates this callerid of yours because you got a contract and /or
> implicitely give them permission to do it.

Really? last time I checked I had to implicitely block it, and not the
other way around.

> HOWEVER if telco used that to call your visa card company and get your
> balance or make transactions i dont think it would be in a "AUP" kind of
> way

Of course not, as I pointed out earlier, and this is way taking it out
of context. If ANYBODY uses it for such a thing then we have
impersonation charges with the crime charges as well. But in not even
one of the examples the spoofer violates any caller ID laws. Since it
is simply legal to put whatever you want as the caller ID (unless of
course you are a telemarketer/collector). Look at it as the return
address (from: header or mail from SMTP command) of an email address
nothing more.