[Asterisk-biz] CID Spoofing

mattf mattf at vicimarketing.com
Wed Jul 27 07:15:46 MST 2005

It is better said that it technically isn't illegal to offer CID spoofing in
the US at this time. There are several companies offering this service now,
just do a google search for "callerid spoofing".

I'm sure that in the near future there will be a lawsuit by someone who has
Verizon or Tmobile cellular service that had their voicemail broken into by
a CID spoof user suing the CID spoofing service. but to my knowledge and
searching this has not happened yet. It is scary that so many large
companies have made voicemail admin access so easy to crack just by spoofing
the user's CID.

What CID spoofing does not fool is ANI delivery(usually on 800 numbers on
RBS circuits and in 911 systems). They ignore CID and grab the 10-digit
number of the circuit that placed the call. This number is defined by the
carrier when the circuit is set up and is used by carriers for such things
as determining the amount the company will be charged for the 800 call that
a customer is placing.

MATT---