[Asterisk-biz] Talking of PoE ...

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Wed Jul 13 08:40:08 MST 2005

Jerry Jones wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2005, at 8:07 AM, jjones at quiddesign.com wrote:
>
>> The fact that it is a piece of junk (FSM7326P)!  Bought two, both  had
>> bad flash after a firmware upgrade (tried one, talked with  Netgear
>> and vendor, and tried the other once a replacement was  here)...  No
>> secondary flash either.

>>> That's a shame.  I've always had a lot of respect for NetGear -  all
>>> of their stuff has just worked for me in the past. Do you  think they
>>> just released it before the code was ready, or do you  think it's
>>> irretrievable ?
>>>

>> I have several FSM7326P installed and they are working great.
>> There are a couple things to note though. First is I am running the
>> open source code available for download from their site. If you are
>> familier with Cisco CLI then this will be very easy to work with.
>> Also I do believe there is(was) a bug when using this code where if
>> you were using the WWW interface then you should look but not  change
>> anything, use CLI for changes - my preference anyway. Also  when
>> upgrading you need to wipe out the old config before it will  boot.
>> They do have good documentation on their site for all this  and I have
>> found them to be pretty straightforward boxes, but  definately run the
>> newer code - they did have some issues with  minor items last year.

	After my initial experience, my confidence in that switch was shaken.
Even with the "couple things" that you note, you have to wonder what
else is buggy on a product with such obvious bugs.  I want my switches
to be ROCK SOLID, when I have to diagnose network issues, I don't want
to add "Is the XYZ feature on the FSM7326P broken like everything else?"
to the mix...

--
Kristian Kielhofner