[Asterisk-biz] Talking of PoE ...

Rob Pickering rob at ipcortex.co.uk
Wed Jul 13 03:24:37 MST 2005

--On 13 July 2005 09:59 +0100 John Daragon <john at argv.co.uk> wrote:
> I guess the Netgear one costs more 'cause it does Layer 3 QoS. I'm
> not sure whether this customer is going to share switch ports
> between handsets and PCs yet, because they're still building the
> building...

Not sure what 'Layer 3 QoS' is (Diffserv maybe?), much less that I
would trust it.

I always stick the VoIP phones on a separate tagged VLAN and use .1Q
priority bits at L2 for QoS. Much more deterministic and supported
well, even by switches with very small brains.

Ooops this is a bit OT for the commercial list.

--
	Rob.
	http://www.ipcortex.co.uk/